Hello, and thanks for visiting Nordic Notes. My name is Nick, and I will be student teaching in Norway this Spring, the reality of which hasn't hit yet. I'll be living with two other student teachers, and I have created this blog to chronicle our experience. I am looking forward to living within another culture, teaching, eating lots of fresh seafood, and skiing (Norwegians ski before they can walk, right?). Maybe I'll even base jump ... or not (see video at bottom of blog).

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bergen Pt. 1


Elizabeth with a 30 Kroner cup o' tea. (30 Kroner = 6 $)


Bergen

Bergen is a fantastic city. Elizabeth arrived last Saturday, and we spent two days in the city. The city center surrounds a harbor, with one part of the wharf containing medieval buildings and the other part containing modern buildings. We walked around after checking in out our hostel, and saw the local fish market. I have never seen so many decapitated heads in my life. Fish heads, eel heads, etc. There was a funky smell wafting from the tent, but the fish all looked pretty tasty, sans the fish heads. It was a picturesque moment seeing the local fisherman decked out in rubber overalls and Norwegian sweaters.

More on Bergen in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment