Hello, and thanks for visiting Nordic Notes. My name is Nick, and I will be student teaching in Norway this Spring, the reality of which hasn't hit yet. I'll be living with two other student teachers, and I have created this blog to chronicle our experience. I am looking forward to living within another culture, teaching, eating lots of fresh seafood, and skiing (Norwegians ski before they can walk, right?). Maybe I'll even base jump ... or not (see video at bottom of blog).

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Arrival


A view of Rosendal from the back porch of our cabin


After a hectic flight(s), my companions and I arrived in Rosendal. Leaving at 10:50 am from Des Moines, I went through my first international flight, which happened to be the second flight of my life. Apart from it's size, it's confusion, a two-hour delay, a six-hour layover, expensive food which did not taste expensive, and not knowing if we would make our flight to Bergen, Chicago wasn't too bad ... There is not much to note from the flight from Chicago to Stockholm, other than watching the film Fantastic Mr. Fox, which was fantastic.

I have nothing against the Swedes, but Stockholm was by far the most confusing airport in our trip. I could not tell who worked at the airport other than the workers selling overpriced goods, and everyone was on a scooter ( well, not everyone, but enough to be confusing ). Instead of flying to Bergen from Stockholm, which was the original plan, we flew to Oslo and then to Bergen. We then had 30 min to get our luggage, and make the last bus/ferry to Rosendal. We were all tired, and probably a littler cranky, but the view is spectacular. I feel like I'm living in a scenic post card.


1 comment: